The declarations approved by the Building Information Foundation RTS sr contain all information required by the standard.
The same information is also available in the declaration template. Their main features are as follows:
- Description of the product and its use, product standards, physical properties
- Main raw materials of products and product description (declared for products brought to the factory)
- Substances contained in the product that are covered by the candidate list of REACH SVHC (Substances of Very High Concern)
Calculation principles for life cycle assessment
- Functional/declared unit
- RTS EPDs must cover at least the product manufacturing stage, from the acquisition of raw materials to the factory’s gate, i.e. information modules A1 … A3.
- RTS EPDs must include modules A4, C1, C2, C3, C4 and D (see instructions on the RTS PCR)
- Cut-off criteria, Assessment period
Life cycle assessment results
- Environmental impacts
- Use of resources
- Waste categories
- Other environmental indicators
- Other information to be declared (emissions to soil, emissions to surface water, indoor air emissions)
- Additional technical information (scenarios used, which help when assessing the building level)
- Application, transportation, waste in worksite, End-of-life, waste processing
- Potentials for reuse, recovery, recycling
- Additional information
Pre-EPD for products that do not fulfill the one year production requirement
As of 2021 it is possible to apply for RTS EPDs for products that do not fulfill the one year production requirement.
The product in the pre-EPD must be similar enough compared to a sibling product that has been in production for at least one year, and the LCA for the pre-EPD can be calculated based on the sibling product. The actual consumption of the raw materials (not theoretical), as well as the losses in production must be known. The verifier must ensure that the results in the pre-epd are reliable. One must clearly state that the EPD declaration is a pre-EPD.
Pre-EPD is valid for 1,5 years after the verification date. After this the RTS EPD must be updated and verified again and base the calculations on the production data of the pre-EPD product itself. The owner of the pre-EPD must re-apply for the RTS EPD status by submitting the EPD application form. The applicant must clearly state that it is about renewal of a pre-EPD.
See the classification fees for pre-EPDs here.